A quick one coming right up!

In a current gig, I’ve been tasked to develop a migration strategy for a hybrid cloud identity environment. We have the following:

  1. A Windows Server 2003 domain, sourcedomain.com, syncing to an Azure AD instance syncedsourcedomain.com.
  2. A brand new Windows Server 2012 R2 domain (hosted in Azure - the automation stuff i did there will be covered in another post), targetdomain.com.
  3. A migration plan to migrate users/groups to targetdomain.com while keeping objects in syncedsourcedomain.com consistent. This is using ADMT.

As I wanted to focus on some advanced stuff in Azure AD Connect in this current blog post, here are the things that I’ve already done beforehand:

  • Setup DNS forwarders between the two forests
  • Setup bidirectional, two-way forest trust
  • A prepared, tested migration script that does user & group migration with SID history migration see link here

The Problem statement(s)

  • SourceAnchor attribute that was used previously was ObjectGUID - obviously this will not work in a cross-forest migration scenario as ObjectGUID changes during migration
  • Current UPN at the source domain UPN is sourcedomain.com - this is registered in the azure ad tenant. Obviously, setting up both public UPNs on both forests is not possible at all. Image below depicts the current state: CurrentStateAzureADConnect

The Solution

Given the problem statements above, the solution will be twofold as well.

  • Reinstall Azure AD Connect and reconfigure the sourceAnchorAttribute/immutableId as something not the ObjectGUID
  • Modify Azure AD Connect flow rules to force the UPN suffix to be “@sourcedomain.com” regardless if the user comes from the sourcedomain.com forest or syncedsourcedomain.com. What we want to achieve is depicted below: CurrentStateAzureADConnect

Details, details, details

  1. Reinstalling Azure AD Connect
    • Before uninstalling/reinstalling Azure AD Connect/DirSync, the DirSync setting on the Azure AD tenant must be disabled first. Don’t forget to run Connect-MsolService! DirSyncDisable
    • Reinstall Azure AD Connect and make sure to choose Custom Settings AADC03
    • Make sure both forests are added SyncForests
    • At “uniquely identifying users”, make sure to choose an attribute other than objectGUID. In my gig’s case, we went with samAccountName. SourceAnchorchange Now - this step is very important. What this will effectively do is change the immutableID property on the objects synced with Azure AD, into the new base64 converted samAccountName. The immutableId is your sourceAnchor property on your on-prem domain users. This step makes sure that users in the metaverse are “hooked” properly to the respective sync-ed users in Azure AD. For more info on the immutableId, i’d recommend checking out this blog: good stuff about immutableId
    • Leave everything else at default, especially the attributes to flow - we will touch on that next using the Synchronization Rules Editor.
  2. Modifying attribute flow rules
    • Open up Synchronization Rules Editor. As reference, this is the end state that we want to be in: UPNFlow01
    • How do we get there? Create a new rule with the highest priority, connected system object: user, metaverse object type: person, link type: join. Skip Scoping Filter and Join Rules. UPNFlow02
    • Then, at Transformations, add a new transformation. Choose Flow Type: Expression, target attribute: userPrincipalName, merge type: update, and source to:

Left([userPrincipalName], InStr([userPrincipalName], “@”)) & “jbdevops.com”

UPNFlow03

Summarize!

Aaaaand… that’s it - all user accounts will now sync with only one UPN (which you will define). Again, what we did are:

  • Turned off DirSync on the tenant level
  • Reinstalled AAD Connect (choose a new sourceAnchor attribute), add the new forest/domain
  • Modified sync rules to force UPN! (because you can’t have both UPNs on both sides of the forest trust)